In this Opinion piece in Education Week, Governor Tim Pawlenty and Former Governor James B. Hunt, Jr. discuss the measures adopted by the SMHC Case Study School Districts – Boston; Chicago; Fairfax County, Va.; Long Beach, Calif., and New York City – to transform disordered human resource practices and improve recruiting and hiring practices. According to Pawlenty and Hunt, these districts “demonstrate the ability of urban schools to respond to U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan’s clear interest in recruiting, developing, rewarding, and retaining top teacher and principal talent.” Pawlenty and Hunt present the following recommendations for school districts:
1. Cast a wide net and don’t let top talent get away
2. Get online to turn human-resources departments into customer-service centers.
3. Focus on rigorous training and retention.
4. Keep strong leadership at the top.
5. Get unions and management to work together.